14.9.11

zucchini.

For our wedding luncheon we had eggplant parmesan. Having a history of picky eating, I didn't even try it. Now I regret it. We get so many people telling us how good it was and that they have been craving it for weeks. 

I found a recipe for zucchini parmesan. Now that I could wrap my head around. I like zucchini and I like it in cupcakes and breads...why wouldn't I like it covered with cheese and bread crumbs and marinara sauce? 

I like Sunday's because I can cook all day and experiment a little. I have so many fun new kitchen toys so it would be rude not to use them! 

The zucchini parmesan was a complete success. Todd LOVED it and had about six servings. It is a great way to sneak a little veggies into your life. Anything is good covered in cheese:) So yum.

Adapted from handletheheat.com

Baked Zucchini Parmesan


  • 3 zucchini's cut into 1/3 inch slices
  • olive oil
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese (divided in half)
  • 1/2 cup italian bread crumbs (I used Panko)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups...or more...mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup marinara sauce
  • Bowtie pasta

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cut up zucchini and blot them with a paper towel to remove the extra moisture. Throw them into a bowl and coat them with olive oil. 

Mix half the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper in a seperate bowl. Dip each zucchini piece in the mixture and coat both sides. Then place on cookie sheet. Cook them in the oven for 25 minutes until brown and crispy.

Reduce the oven to 400 degrees.

Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of a small cooking dish. Put one layer of zucchini on top of the sauce. Sprinkle the mozza cheese on top. Keep the layering going until you are out of zucchini. Sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on the top layer. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. 

Serve over bowtie pasta. 



Then, take a food coma nap.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Umm yes that eggplant at your wedding was amazing! But this looks so.dang.good!

Dawn said...

To this day the food Bryan and I ate at our wedding luncheon was the best meal of our lives and we've never been able to replicate it - we were starving! But I'm glad to see that you've had success and I can't wait to try this myself!